Monday, October 24, 2005

EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM (and its MINE!)

Ok so no-one said that blogs had to be interesting and this entry will mean nothing to most people. But for the chosen few, this will be a big deal (and yes, I did start the last sentence with a conjunctive).

Most people who know me, know that I like to take photographs. Even a casual visitor to this blog will see that so to anyone who doesn't know much about snapping. This lens could be considered a weapon of mass destruction, especially if you dropped it on your toe.

This lens is quite heavy but very well built. Its a zoom lens which means that it makes things look closer than they really are and although zoom lenses can be hard to use to take good pictures due to camera shake, this one has a trick up its sleeve.

This lens uses something called IS. It stands for image stabilization and its basically a middle lens inside which can detect shake. It then moves in the opposite direction and thus cancels it out and your pictures still look nice and sharp, even at 200m (roughly 4 times larger than life).

I'm looking forward to putting this lens through its paces and I dare say that some of the pics will end up online so even for those who don't have a clue about what this post is all about, you'll probably see for yourself soon.

**Edit** Image posted below

2 comments:

Sunny said...

That is an AWSOME piece of equipment!

Nice photo too.

My hubby,Paulius, and I are into photograpy a bit too- not as much as I would like- but it's a nice sometimes hobby for us.

I do better at portrait type shots- Paulius is much better at the landscape shots altho he did shoot a photo of himself that was book-jacket perfect.(It was a shot for me when he was living in England. He's not very happy with getting his pic taken, really)

Looking forward to seeing some more shots on here!

I know you're a busy guy- but you should update more often!

With Love, Fat Girl said...

Rest assured that to all shutterbugs a new lens (especially one like that) is a VERY big thing! Excellent equipement; have lots of fun with it.